Diwali, the festival of lights, is one of the prominent festivals celebrated in India. Diwali celebrates the victory of good over evil, light over darkness, and knowledge over ignorance. Diwali is celebrated by decorating homes with lights and lamps, cooking up feasts, completing Lakshmi puja, and bursting crackers.
Last, but not the least, Diwali is celebrated through gift-giving. Gift-giving is one of the age-old traditions in India where people exchange gifts to express companionship with each other. Diwali gift is an embodiment of an emotional connection between people. Exchanging gifts is another way to express gratitude and devotion to the deities.
Let us all take one step towards a green Diwali by encouraging eco-friendly Diwali gift ideas instead of the traditional Diwali gifts. The traditional Diwali gifts are not always environmentally friendly. Instead of giving expensive gifts such as mobile phones, watches, jewelry, or kitchenware, let us make this year's gift-giving thoughtful.
Below is an interesting list of eco-friendly Diwali gifts for family and other loved ones.
- Earthen Diyas: Gifting diyas to our loved ones indicates adding light to their life and dreams. Let’s switch to earthen diyas this time, instead of the plastic diyas. Giving earthen diyas as Diwali gifts will not only promote sustainability but also support the livelihood of potters.
- Plantable greeting cards: A greeting card is a warm way of extending wishes to your loved ones. How can someone ignore the beauty of Diwali greeting cards? This year, let’s make it different by giving plantable greeting cards. Plantable greeting cards can be planted in soil and you see the flowers bloom. Gifting a plant is a symbolic expression of trust and love.
- Sustainable clothes: Diwali is one of the most prominent festivals in India which is embraced by wearing new clothes. Gifting clothes indicates contentment and happiness. For a change, try gifting sustainable clothes as Diwali gifts this time instead of traditional fashion clothes.
- Handmade Gifts: Handmade gifts comprise a variety of choices such as handmade wall decor, vases, pots, idols, table lamps, scented pillar candles, hanging tea holders, jar candles, pendant lamps, spiritual handings, and idols. By gifting handmade gifts for Diwali, you can lighten the homes of your local artisans as well.
- Handmade gift hampers: You can gift your loved ones with a delightful handmade gift hamper containing sweets, chocolates, dry fruits, cupcakes, and much more. This is the best gift for foodies and sweet lovers.
- Handmade bangles: Bangles are the best Diwali handmade gifts for girls. These bangles come in different varieties, metal ones, threadwork bangles, stonework bangles, etc.
Take this Diwali as an opportunity to remind your loved ones to be more empathetic towards our environment. Choosing eco-friendly Diwali gifts for your loved ones is the most beautiful way to do so!
Let’s all make this Diwali a green and eco-friendly one by choosing sustainable products from Brown Living. Choose from a wide range of products that support sustainability throughout.